Match: England vs South Africa, 2nd T20I | South Africa tour of England
Date: Thursday, 28 July 2022
Time: 23:00 (GMT+5.5) / 23:30 (GMT+6)
Venue: Sophia Gardens, Cardiff
ENG vs SA Preview
- In the first IT20, Jonny Bairstow continued his stellar summer by scoring 90 runs off just 53 balls. On Thursday night, he is our pick to be England’s leading run scorer. With the ball, Richard Gleeson maintained his strong start to international cricket by taking three more wickets in Bristol. He is our choice to lead England in wickets throughout this game.
- Reeza Hendricks scored 57 runs for South Africa at the County Ground off of 33 balls batted at the top of the order, and we expect him to surpass that total in Cardiff. Lungi Ngidi, who recorded impressive stats of 5-39 on Wednesday, is a strong candidate to be South Africa’s leading wicket-taker in the upcoming match against England.
- Tristan Stubbs and Jonny Bairstow’s six-hitting in Bristol impressed everyone. Although Cardiff’s boundaries are not nearly as short, we believe Bairstow will once again knock the most sixes in this IT20.
At the County Ground in Bristol on Wednesday night, England defeated South Africa by a score of 41 to start the IT20 series. 29 sixes were thrown during the game, with Jonny Bairstow and Tristan Stubbs contributing eight each. The match on Thursday will take place at Cardiff’s Sophia Gardens. 18:30 local time is the start of the game.
England defeated India by 17 runs in Nottingham and South Africa by 41 runs in Bristol in their past two matches in this format. Their key batters, who are a significant part of their team identity, are regaining confidence.
Despite having talent with both the bat and the ball, South Africa has lost its last three Twenty20 matches against both India and England. Tristan Stubbs, though, appears to be a young player who will rule cricket for many years to come.
ENG vs SA Weather Report
From beginning to end, it was cloudy and the temperature will be in the low 20s in South Wales. There won’t be any breaks in play due to rain throughout this game.
ENG vs SA Match Toss Prediction
On Wednesday, South Africa decided to field first after winning the toss. We anticipate that if either skipper wins the toss before this game, they will choose to bowl first because the pitch is bowler-friendly.
ENG vs SA Pitch Report
The pitch typically has some dampness, which the seam bowlers can utilise to their advantage.
England Team News & Probable Playing XIs
The team led by Jos Buttler chose an extra bowler for the series opener on Wednesday in Bristol, and they might be tempted to do the same on the bowler-friendly surface in Cardiff. Sam Curran will likely be replaced by David Willey as England strictly monitors his workload this summer.
Recent form – W W L L L
ENG Probable Playing XI
Jos Buttler (c) (wk), Jason Roy, Jonny Bairstow, Liam Livingstone, Dawid Malan, David Willey, Moeen Ali, Reece Topley, Adil Rashid, Chris Jordan, Richard Gleeson
South Africa Team News & Probable Playing XIs
Anrich Nortje is anticipated to return to the lineup for this match with Andile Phehlukwayo leaving after missing the series opener on Wednesday night. Tristan Stubbs and Reeza Hendricks both demonstrated their bat skills in Bristol, and none of them is expected to leave their batting positions during that match.
Recent form – L L L W W
SA Probable Playing XI
Keshav Maharaj (c), Quinton de Kock (wk), Rilee Rossouw, Reeza Hendricks, David Miller, Tristan Stubbs, Heinrich Klaasen, Kagiso Rabada, Lungi Ngidi, Anrich Nortje, Tabraiz Shamsi
ENG vs SA Head-to-Head Stats (Last 5 matches)
ENG vs SA – 2nd T20I, Dream 11
- Jos Buttler
- Tristan Stubbs
- Quinton de Kock
- Dawid Malan
- Jonny Bairstow
- David Miller (vc)
- Moeen Ali (c)
- Reece Topley
- Tabraiz Shamsi
- Kagiso Rabada
- Keshav Maharaj
ENG vs SA Prediction
Winning the toss
- England – Jonny Bairstow
- South Africa – Quinton de Kock
- England – Richard Gleeson
- South Africa – Kagiso Rabada
- England – Jos Buttler
- South Africa – David Miller
Player of the Match
- England – Jonny Bairstow
Team Scores Batting First
- England – 210+
- South Africa – 190+
England are the favorite to win this match.
Even if England’s batting was not flawless on Wednesday, only Jason Roy failed to make a significant impact from their top five. They are quite versatile with the ball and will be challenging to play against in South Wales. In this IT20, we anticipate a strong comeback from South Africa, but we are siding with England to win.